The Senior Director of Communications strategically amplifies the mission and the work of the McCain Institute to targeted audiences. The Senior Director oversees and guides all aspects of the McCain Institute’s brand, including public relations outreach, printed materials and digital presence, as well as supervising the planning and execution of Institute events.
In just five years, the McCain Institute has earned a reputation as a significant player in Washington, DC, and Arizona, substantively contributing to the training and development of future leaders, ending human trafficking, crafting data visualization technology and bolstering human rights, democracy and rule of law around the world. The Senior Director will play a leading role in expanding the McCain Institute’s presence and recognition both nationwide and internationally through an ambitious new messaging campaign.
The Senior Director leads a four-member communications and events team and collaborates closely with senior staff within the Institute as the lead communications partner on a variety of initiatives, programs and events. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
- Sets strategic communications goals for the initiatives of the Institute and craft plans to achieve those goals;
- Takes responsibility for the McCain Institute brand and style, including managing logo use, overseeing graphic design and ensuring consistency in messaging across programs and events;
- Proactively develops relationships with national media and trade press, including TV, radio, print, and online, to secure consistent media placements highlighting Institute programs;
- Leads media outreach, manages interview requests and serves as primary on the record spokesperson for the Institute. Identifies and secures new media opportunities and partnerships on behalf of the Institute;
- Develops and executes earned and digital media strategy for The Institute and its programs.
- Crafts a variety of written material for external publication, including press releases, blog posts, media availabilities, and talking points;
- Manages and undertakes reach expansion for the Institute’s digital platforms, including website, email campaigns, videos, social media platforms, and more;
- Manages partnerships with major event and communications vendors;
- Oversees the execution and budgets of all Institute events, including the Debate and Decision Series, Human Trafficking Conversation Series and Leadership Voices. Plays a significant role in strategic planning and execution of the annual Sedona Forum;
- Travels to domestic and international events.
- 5+ years of direct experience in media relations, public affairs and/or strategic communications;
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field AND five (5) years of related experience which includes three (3) years of management/supervisory experience; OR any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved;
- Proven record of earned media coverage, including from top-tier national media operations and news organizations; on-the-record experience;
- Deep understanding of and experience with the creation of digital strategies;
- Interpersonal skills, an inclination to collaborate, and ability to work well in a team and independently;
- Demonstrated ability to meet tight deadlines, work under pressure and manage multiple projects at once;
- Creative and strategic, with the project management skills to see new ideas through;
- Impeccable writing and editing skills; and
- Experience developing branding and messaging.
Submit a cover letter, resume, two to five page writing sample, and two references in a single pdf to [email protected].