Online Certificate on Human Trafficking for Youth-Serving Professionals
To better address human trafficking among runaway and homeless youth in the United States, the McCain Institute, in partnership with the National Network for Youth and Arizona State University, is bringing the Certificate on Human Trafficking training to an online platform.
Expected to launch in January 2022, the Certificate on Human Trafficking will be offered in two sequenced courses, ensuring participants understand the fundamentals of human trafficking, as well as how to identify and respond to potential cases of trafficking.
Are these certificates right for me?
Yes! This series of courses on human trafficking is designed for many levels of providers from executive leadership to program specialists, outreach coordinators and case managers. We know that many young people experiencing homelessness are at-risk of being or have already experienced some form of human trafficking. As tireless advocates and allies for these young people, you can make a difference in their lives by being able to identify survivors of trafficking, connect them to the services they need, as well as help prevent trafficking from happening in the first place.
Guided by an Advisory Group of leading researchers and experts on human trafficking, youth homelessness, and child welfare, this self-paced curriculum includes twelve modules utilizing evidenced-based readings, multimedia materials, interactive activities, and quizzes. After participating in each course, and successfully completing post-tests on the material presented, participants will earn a Certificate indicating that they have successfully completed the training2
CHT Course Descriptions
FOUNDATIONS on HUMAN TRAFFICKING
- Trafficking definitions and relevant laws
- Trafficking myths & biases, identification
- Addressing trafficking trauma and its impacts
- Building relationships with youth and case management
- Accessing additional resources and meeting your professional obligations
- Responding to local variations and putting training into action
PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS: SCREENING, RESPONSE, and TRAUMA
- How to screen youth clients for experiences of sex and/or labor trafficking
- How to assess the needs of your trafficked youth clients
- How to appropriately serve youth who have been trafficked
- Understanding the science of trauma and its impact on your clients
- Helping staff cope with secondary trauma
Foundations on Human Trafficking is a pre-requisite to the Practical Applications course.
If you’d like to learn more, and be notified when this course opens for enrollment, please fill out this Interest Form.